I don't want to hand my business platform to someone else who can raise prices or change policies at any time. From an SEO perspective, it's a major investment, and it's very risky I have the knowledge and ability to maintain my own solution Can I innovate faster than a fully managed platform? no way! But on the other hand, I don't need 80% of the features that a fully managed shopping cart supports. What about the remaining 20%? I can often write new features myself over a few weekends and avoid paying recurring fees . In general, when it comes to outsourcing.
I like to take control of various aspects of my business that are not easily interchangeable . For everything else, I don't mind paying 3rd party fees. For example, I spend about $800 a month on email marketing services. But even though email marketing accounts for 90% of my blog revenue, I would never create my own email platform . Switching email providers is fax List fairly straightforward, so if my provider decides to cheat me, it won't pose a significant risk to my business. Editor's Note: I've been screwed with my email provider in the past. read this. Carts, on the other hand, require months of hard work to migrate. Will my mindset change one day? maybe. But for the small store I run, I prefer to live with what I have and keep it in control for the time being.
The art of being smart is knowing what to ignore" juggling Remember when I said I always drop things on the floor? Well, it's absolutely impossible for me to do what I do without rejecting most things. Since I spend my weekends with my kids and family, I basically have about 20 hours a week for all my business tasks. 20 hours isn't a lot of time, so I have to give it a very high priority. For any business, it's easy to get caught up in making more money, investing in more projects, and trying to expand, expand, expand! So I have to keep reminding myself why I am in business.